Are you thinking of upgrading your business’s ageing PBX phone system? There are numerous potential business benefits of installing an advanced, modern phone system – such as a VoIP or cloud phone system. Business phones today can increase operational efficiencies, lower communication costs, and even help to improve relationships with customers.
New Phone System Requirements Checklist
Selecting the right phone system to meet your organization’s needs requires thoughtful consideration. Understanding exactly what you need from your phone system is vital. For instance, have you thought about how many users your phone system needs to accommodate? Do you require multi-location solutions? Will international calling options be a priority?
This article will help you answer the above questions and many others. We’ve created two helpful checklists to help you navigate the phone system selection process. The first is a phone system requirements checklist, and the second is a new phone system installation checklist.
Step One: Assess Your Phone System Needs
Before choosing a phone system, you need a clear picture of your business’s communication and telephony needs. These will vary significantly from one industry to the next, so be sure to take the necessary time to uncover your phone requirements.
Start your needs assessment by answering the following questions:
- How many phones do you currently have? How many do you need?
- Are you replacing an existing system, installing a new one, or upgrading your current one?
- Does your business phone system need to support different office locations?
- Do you need to integrate cell phones and mobile devices into the system?
- Would you like to connect your phone system and your CRM?
- Do you need desk phones? How many?
- Would you like to improve how incoming calls are handled?
Once you’ve answered the above questions, you should better understand what you need from a phone system and phone service provider. However, if you’re unsure of how to answer them accurately, reach out to a communications provider that can help you better understand your current phone needs.
|Thinking about a new phone system? These blogs will help you work out the details:|
Step Two: List Phone System Features You’d Like
The next step in choosing a new phone system is to identify and list the features you’d like to have incorporated into your new phone system. With cloud and VoIP phone technology, your organization will have a near-limitless number of options to choose from. All you need is an internet connection (broadband connection).
To simplify your selection process, we’ve broken down the most commonly used phone features into three categories. The categories are based on different communication touchpoints and assume a VoIP phone system or cloud phone is being considered.
VoIP Phone System Features for Better Incoming Call Management
- Auto attendants
- Multi-line phone system
- IVR (Interactive Voice Response)
- Intelligent call routing
- On-Hold music
- Call park
- Extension dialing
VoIP Phone System Features for Efficient Message Management
- Voicemail to email
- Voicemail to text
- Visual voicemail
- Call logging
Credit: Arlington Research
VoIP Phone System Features for Robust Omni-Channel Integrations
- CRM integrations
- Select third-party app integration
- Call recording
- Automatic call distribution
Step 3: Choose a Trusted Communications Provider
When looking for a phone system provider and installer, be sure the company you choose meets the following requirements:
- Has a proven track record of reliability and service
- Offers ongoing managed phone services
- Is willing to create customized solutions to meet your needs
- Is aligned with trusted partners such as Mitel, Telus, Shaw or Rogers
Your new phone system is only as good as the service you get from your communications provider. When making your selection, carefully consider the features and cost of a new phone system and the quality and reliability of its services.
Ready to Get Started with a New Phone System?
Our managed telecom services provide initial setup and ongoing support for all your communication channels
New Phone System Checklist: What to Expect
Once you’ve chosen a provider, a phone system and your preferred bells and whistles, it’s time for the system to be installed or migrated. During this time, your provider will work closely with you to get the system’s new equipment, connections, and integrations taken care of promptly and efficiently.
During installation, you should expect your provider to execute the following tasks:
- Transfer phone numbers to the new system
- Add users and input physical addresses
- Set up usernames, passwords and other security features
- Arrange post-installation training sessions
- Install apps to necessary devices, such as company desktops
Set up automations, such as call flows, call routing, or business hours.
New Phone System Installation Checklist
The last stage of your new phone system setup is to check the system and ensure it’s ready to go. Your service provider should be available to you, guide you through this final phase, and answer any questions you may have.
When initiating your new phone system, be sure to check the following items:
- Verify connectivity.
- Confirm that each handset and phone number can make and receive calls.
- Record voicemail greetings for every number.
- Test your chosen features to ensure they’re working correctly.
- Ensure team members using the system have been trained.
Experience A Seamless Phone System Installation & Integration
At Sunco, we understand the importance of having a new phone system installation experience that is seamless, hassle-free and improves your communication capability.
Our team of experts has over 20 years of experience. We will work closely with you to ensure that every step of your new system selection and installation process goes smoothly. From helping you to select the right products, to transferring your existing numbers and installing new software or apps, you can count on us.
Contact us today to start your new phone system installation and integration!
Featured Image Credit: Julian Hochgesang